Monday, March 15, 2010

#6 Quilts and Some Memories (part A)



Doug had invited Karen and I to bring some fabric and we’d make quilts. I was anxious to try the Baby Lock Ellisimo machine that resided at Doug’s house. From his talk, that machine could make a quilt while we sat in the living room playing games. Karen gathered up some bits of fabric and ribbon in the hope that a patriotic wall-hanging might be crafted from the hodgepodge of pieces. I pulled from the depths of the closet a quilt top that I had tried to make ten years ago that I was never happy with. Karen’s project went first – what a delight to see the bag of scraps come together in a beautiful red, white, and blue quilt for the wall. So when it was my turn to tear apart the old top I had tried to make, I knew that something beautiful would come of it. We kept the two machines going full speed. I was amazed at the Ellisimo! That thing does everything and then some – embroiders, and runs so easy and smooth with an endless catalog of designs and stitches from cd’s and the internet. We’d pick out a design, attach the embroider hoop thingey and away it would go – makes my old machine feel like a Model T. It has a video camera by the needle and a big screen that shows close up every stitch the machine is making. Wish I’d have had one of those back when I was sewing everything for my family. (But then, if I’d have been able to afford that machine, I’d not have been sewing everything for my family . . .) Three days is all it took and we emerged from the sewing room with two quilts! I can’t wait til the next visit, I’ll know what to expect and go fully prepared to do some serious stitching! I have been making quilts since 1960, but I have never made an intricately pieced quilt; and you can see from the picture that the quick quilt I made was not intricately blocked – that skill is still to be learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment