Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snowy Days and Comfort Foods

Today I’m thinking about the folks in the eastern part of the U.S. who are covered in snow – hoping they have the comfort of a warm home with family gathered safely around.
All I can offer in the way of comfort to them are two recipes that I like to make on cold wintery days. The chili is so easy and quick to make -- you can be eating it within 30 minutes of starting. And this cornbread recipe is my favorite -- the texture is smooth and cake-like. I keep the ingredients for these two recipes in my cupboard at all times because Dale likes chili almost as much as he likes meatloaf!

EASY CHILI

½ lb. ground beef browned with chopped onions
Add:
1 can pork and beans
2 or 3 cans beans (red beans, kidney beans, pinto beans)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tsp. (Or to taste) chili powder
salt
pepper
Simmer until flavors blend. (At least 15 min.)
(If I choose to add the third can of beans, I also like to use a little bit more ground beef.)_

JIFFY CORNBREAD

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix (8.5 oz)
1 box Jiffy yellow cake mix (9 oz)
1/3 cup milk
½ cup water
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil

Mix all ingredients. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8X8 pan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 20 - 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment