Friday, January 22, 2010

The Great Blue Heron

THE GREAT BLUE HERON

The great blue heron
Had swallowed a fish,
And it was stuck halfway down his neck.
He looked this way and that
Checking to see if anyone
Were witnessing his indignity.

I chuckled to myself,
Albeit a little uneasily.
He reminded me of me,
When with wounded pride and ego,
I strut and argue, pout and stamp;
Anything to avoid admission of guilt.

That heron walked stiff-legged
Through the knee-deep water
Stretching his neck and bobbing his head,
But the fish stuck fast
Making an unsightly bulge
In the otherwise graceful neck.

The display lasted only a minute.
Then, resigned to the fact
That he had a fish stuck in his neck,
He relaxed
And the fish slid down to his craw.
But, the next day, I saw him again
With a fish stuck in his neck.
© 1991 Linda Muhlestein

I wrote this piece several years ago when I was in the habit of getting my foot stuck in my mouth.
I hadn't thought of it until just two days ago, when out on a walk by the pond I chanced upon a Great Blue just 30 feet away -- standing, fishing. Instead of stopping, I continued watching as I walked. Mistake! I stepped on the edge of the conglomerate walkway, my ankle turned and down I went scooting down the path on my ellbows! First thought: I think I'm okay - just some bad road rash. Second thought: Oh no! My binoculars are between me and the cement. Third thought: Is anybody watching! And there was -- of course! I don't know why you can't do these things in privacy. Trying to get up with some dignity, I assured the on-lookers that my body was intact, and I hobbled on down the path to find a more secluded spot to lick my wounds. I hunkered down in a small cul-de-sac by the side of the water and was treated to a male Hooded Merganser and his harem of 3 females bobbing on the water right in front of me! My day in the park was redeemed! My daughter asked me, "So was it worth it -- scraping your elbows?" And I truly don't know the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment